It’s quite clear that white sneakers are a fashion trend that is here to stay. The hippest girls (and guys) are wearing them with just about anything. They look great with jeans and cropped pants, but one can also team them with dresses and skirts. This upcoming winter they will look super cool with your long trench coat.
But one infrequently discussed aspect of these wonderful wardrobe staples is just how one is supposed to keep them so white! They are after all quite impractical from that point of view. One kids’ party, a walk with the dog or a stroll through a park, leaves them positively grimy. And although the grunge-era allowed us to wear dirt smeared takkies, it is not the look of the moment.
While on a mission to restore my Superstars to glowing white, I trawled the internet for hints and tips. Many of them showed people scrubbing sneakers with soap and bleach which conjured up visions of a disaster. But these tips looked pretty practical and actually worked!
TIPS TO CLEAN YOUR WHITE SNEAKERS
1. Remove laces and wash them separately with some dishwash liquid and water
2. Use an old toothbrush and toothpaste to clean your sneakers all over, wipe with a damp cloth
3. If necessary, use a pencil eraser to remove scuffmarks on the rubber edges of the sneakers
4. Use a cloth dipped in vinegar for spot cleaning
5. Cover little scratches with white nail polish
6. To speed up the drying process, stuff your sneakers with newspaper or paper towel
Here is a video I found by Addyology that has some really great tips for all sneakers including waterproofing canvas sneakers (great for kids!) and removing smells with a teabag.
ARE YOUR SNEAKERS BEYOND SAVING?
Invest in one of these super cool pairs. Scroll to see all the sneakers and click on the image to shop!