As time progresses, the signs of an eventful life start to show up on our face. These lines and wrinkles are often referred to as ‘expression lines’. Expression lines are a direct result of repeated muscle contraction and movement by the face. The most familiar expression lines are perhaps those around the mouth and eye area. Here are a few hints and tips on how to delay the onset of the lines and wrinkles around your eyes known as ‘crow’s feet’.
Have you ever caught yourself forgetting your sunglasses and squinting into the sun? This squinting is a motion that causes your muscles to repeatedly contract and result in the formation of wrinkles around the eye area.
By simply wearing sunglasses which have UV protection you can help prevent wrinkles, make sure you wear them religiously when you venture outside.
Nothing motivates like a new pair! Here are a few suggestions.
1. This style of sunglasses will never date. Ray-Ban Wayfarer Sunglasses Mid Brown, R2290 BUY
2. A highly trendy mini cateye style that celebs currently love. Vogue Brown Frame Cateye Sunglasses With Gradient Lens Brown, R1539 BUY
3. Classy frames that will suit many face shapes. Vogue Cat-eye Sunglasses Beige, R1090 BUY
Not only does smoking cover your face with contaminants such as free radicals and create clogged pores, it naturally accelerates the ageing process of the skin. Besides that, the facial motions you have to make to hold and puff a cigarette alone will cause the skin on your face to pull into unnatural expressions and cause wrinkles which will become deeper and more ingrained over time. Nicotine is also known to destroy your skin’s collagen and elastin, factors which keep your skin plump and flexible.
(RELATED POST: 10 Foods that boost collagen production)
APPLY SKINCARE PRODUCTS GENTLY
The skin around the eye area is five to ten times thinner than the rest of your face, so treat this area with care. Whether it is your go-to serum, or eye cream, delicately pat the product around the eye area. Where possible use your index fingers to apply the products as they apply less pressure. Always avoid any stretching or rubbing.
When removing your makeup, steer clear of excessive wiping with makeup remover cloths and cotton pads. Choose products which dissolve and remove makeup quickly and are specifically designed for the delicate eye area.
1. This Esse eye cream has a rich texture that is especially great for night-time use and during winter. Esse Eye Cream Contour+, R1300 BUY
2. Removes eye makeup quickly without lots of rubbing. Lula Fox Botanical Eye Makeup Remover, R495 BUY
3. Equilibrio’s favourite serum. Calming, nourishing and balancing. Esse Probiotic Serum+, R1250 BUY
4. A natural eye cream with a beautiful fragrance. Dr Hauschka Regenerating Eye Cream, R1250 BUY
ELECTRONICS AGE US
If you spend multiple hours in front of a computer or staring at your phone (like we do) your eyes can begin to strain after a while. Try to take a “time out” from your screen every now and then to give your eyes a break. If you’re at your desk for many hours, speak to your optometrist about getting glasses with anti-glare lenses which help take stain from a bright screen off your eyes. It has also recently been proven that the radiation from a computer screen can age us! Ensure that you are wearing the sunscreen … even when sitting in front of a computer.
ALWAYS WEAR SUNSCREEN
We’ve said it before and we will say it again, sunscreen is your strongest defence against aging. The best way to prevent wrinkles is to delay the destruction of the skin via external aggressors. One of the most effective ways to delay ageing is to apply a high SPF (SPF 30 being the sweet spot) sunscreen daily … all year round.
(RELATED POST: Five facts about sunscreen you need to know)
Using a sunscreen from an early age not only prevents wrinkles but can save you from age spots and potential skin cancers. It is best to apply your sunscreen 15 to 30 minutes prior to sun exposure and reapply every two hours and again after being in the water.
Here are a few chemical-free sunscreen suggestions.
1. Juice Beauty is one of our favourite natural skincare brands! Juice Beauty Stem Cellular CC Cream SPF30, R839 BUY
2. A great, high quality local sunscreen. Africology Sun SPF30, R240 BUY
3. A vegetarian sunscreen made from organic ingredients. Salt & Stone Premium Sunscreen SPF 30, R339 BUY
SHOULD YOU CONSIDER INJECTABLES?
It may not be for everyone, but the experts in aesthetic medicine confirm that immobilising the muscles around the eye area slightly, will prevent the continuous contraction which causes ‘crow’s feet’. Of course, as with everything, prevention is better than cure and the earlier one starts with injectables, the more effective they are. For more information on injectables click here.
Small and seemingly insignificant changes can make a big impact in the long term.
Thank you to Skin Renewal for their contribution to this post. For more information on anti-ageing techniques, treatments and targeted skin care visit www.skinrenewal.co.za