The festive season is upon us and so too the office parties, lunches with friends and cocktail functions before the December shutdown. This festive season fashion post is inspired by my mom, who was looking for something for her “office party”, specifically something happy, a red dress.
I’m a huge fan of the little black dress but this time of year, it seems a bit out of place unless it has bling. Red is a happy colour, the first colour that comes to mind when thinking of festive season fashion. But remember when shopping for your year-end party, to do so sustainably. Buy something you can wear again and again, all year round. Rather invest in one good item than lots of poor quality items, and try to make it a local item.
THE LITTLE RED DRESS
Instead of getting another black dress why not get it in red? The ERRE Myri Dress (short for myriad) can be worn in tons of different ways, hence the name. Wear it short, long, in a V-neck or a halterneck, the possibilities are endless. The Flare Shirt Dress with intricate detail and super-wide skirt will look great on the dance floor.
1. Erre Multi-way Myri Dress, Red (also in black and pink), R1900 BUY ON EQUILIBRIO
2. Erre Flare Shirt Dress, Red (also in black), R3800 BUY ON EQUILIBRIO
COOL RED LINEN
Nothing stays cool like natural linen during South Africa’s scorching summer. And if your year-end function is a casual one, why not wear this little jumpsuit or a red linen shift dress. Colourful, fun, yet classic. Both made in Cape Town.
1. Good Clothing Sailor Dress, Red, R900 BUY ON EQUILIBRIO
2. Kirsten Goss Onion Earrings, Gold Vermeil, R1490 BUY ON EQUILIBRIO
3. Good Clothing Strappy Playsuit, Red Linen, R840 BUY ON EQUILIBRIO
Rather than a solid red dress, do you fancy wearing a fun printed garment? We love this take on animal print in wine red. And the microfloral off-the-shoulder dress makes an elegant casual festive season fashion item. Both made in Joburg.
1. Smudj Lennie Dress, Claret Zebra, R1690 BUY ON EQUILIBRIO
2. Kirsten Goss Fragmaxx Brass Cuff, R2190 BUY ON EQUILIBRIO
3. Smudj Vacay Dress, Red Floral (also in gold floral), R990 BUY ON EQUILIBRIO
EASY RED SEPARATES
We all want to look bright and happy at our year-end function but wearing red from head to toe can be intimidating for some. So why not buy one striking red item and mix it up with a neutral like black or white? This draped sleeve red jacket is an investment piece you’ll cherish forever. Or get a bright red top or pants and add it to neutral items you already have in your closet.
1. Erre Sprint Racerback Vest, Red (also in black), R580 BUY ON EQUILIBRIO
2. Erre Stroll Pants, Red (also in black), R1650 BUY ON EQUILIBRIO
3. Erre Swing It Jacket, Red (also in black), R2400 BUY ON EQUILIBRIO
See more locally made red items in our shop here.
Enjoy the festive season in beautiful, happy red!