If you’re like me, you’ve been slacking off during the holidays. My calorie intake went up and my activity level went down. I’ve started the year off a bit heavier and quite unfit. But I’m determined to get back on track!
After being less active, one must be careful not to hit the gym and do too much, too soon. You may injure yourself or end up so stiff that you’re put off exercise for weeks. I found this great ten minute cardio video on Popsugar Fitness, which is perfect for someone who is either trying to fire up their fitness again, or doesn’t have much time to work out. It is a high impact, equipment-free workout which gets the heart rate up fast. I do it in my bedroom to get the blood pumping and clear my head before the start of the day. They offer modifications for every move so that anyone can join in and work towards the advanced moves.
Just press play!
This ten minute cardio class can be paired with one of our upper body or lower body workouts. Start with the cardio class and then choose one of the strength workouts. Alternatively, you can alternate days – doing cardio one day and resistance training on the other day. Ideally you want to exercise for at least 150 minutes a week.
Popsugar has a great free fitness app which we reviewed last year, if you’re keen to get more workouts and tips on your phone, read more here.
And what better way to motivate your training than with some great new activewear? Here are some suggestions:
1. Reebok Training Linear High Rise Tights Black, R1,399 from Spree BUY
2. Puma Performance PWRSHAPE Forever Black, R499 from Zando BUY
3. Nike Performance Womens Nike Dry Miller Tank Black, R379 from Zando BUY
1. Spiritgirl Lion Pride Recycled Leggings Pink, R950 from Zando BUY
2. Reebok Training Hero Strappy Bra Dark Purple, R599 from Spree BUY
3. Nike Performance W NK Breathe Top SS Cool Purple, R 419 from Zando BUY
2. Puma Mostro Fashion White, R1,499 from Spree BUY
3. FIT Gymwear Yoga Vest Grey, R 299 from Zando BUY
(RELATED POST: Couch Potato to 10k Runner in 10 Weeks)