It’s always a bit tricky to know what to wear when it’s not quite winter yet. We have long summers in South Africa, but this time of year, the mornings and evenings start getting a little bit cooler, just enough so to occasionally justify a light jacket or a 3/4 sleeve. We like to call these “inbetween” pieces, transitional clothing. They can easily be worn on days that aren’t too hot or too cold, and they layer well with other items.
After months of glorious sunshine it’s sometimes a bit of a “downer” to pull out your dull winter clothing. Not this season! The autumn/winter season ahead is bolder than ever before. You’ll soon see textures, bright colours and lots of bling on the streets. You can incorporate these trends into your transitional clothing so that you’re ahead of the fashion curve.
When it comes to accessories, big earrings and sneakers remain top trends and the adventurous will be wearing ankle socks with heels.
(RELATED POST: Trends from SA Fashion Week Autumn/Winter 2018)
Look for transition clothing like light jackets, parkas or trench coats. Suits are back this season and are the perfect transitional outfit. I just love this black velvet suit that is also available in burgundy. Red is the shade of the new season. This includes all shades like burgundy.
1. Light Weight Parka Khaki Green, edit, R499 BUY
2. Magnes Velveteen Pants Black, Vero Moda, R549 BUY
3. Magnes Velveteen Jacket Black, Vero Moda, R799 BUY
4. Izza Satin Slip-On Sneakers Orange, Footwork, R449 BUY
5. Izza Satin Slip-On Sneakers Green, Footwork, R449 BUY
6. Izza Satin Slip-On Sneakers Burgundy, Footwork, R449 BUY
THE SLEEVED DRESS
Long or 3/4 sleeved dresses are great transitional clothing items. Your covered arms will help keep you a little warmer but your exposed legs will prevent you from overheating.
Black is always a safe go-to but this season’s citrus colours are seriously hot! Wear your sleeved dress with cute ankle booties or pumps. For cooler days (or when your self-tan has faded) you can add these super trendy sheer leggings.
1. Volume Sleeve Sweater Dress Black, Style Republic, R399 BUY
2. Hoop Earrings Black, Style Republic, R69 BUY
3. Athleisure Stirrup Leggings Black, c(inch), R199 BUY
4. Aiva Ankle Boots Black, Miss Black, R699 BUY
5. Self-tie Dress Yellow, Style Republic, R499 BUY
Jumpsuits generally make great transitional clothing items. Wear them with sneakers for a laid-back look, or dress them up with heels for the office or a night out.
This locally produced black jumpsuit by Slick fits like a glove (currently on sale!). And nothing says “girl power” quite like this khaki-green jumpsuit which reminds me of fighter pilot gear!
1. Bianca High Neckline Jumpsuit Black, Slick, R659 (was R1,099) BUY
2. Utility Jumpsuit Dark Green, Style Republic, R449 BUY
3. Ophelia Courts Black, Miss Black, R499 BUY
4. Aviator Blaze Sunglasses Gold, Ray-Ban, R2290 BUY
5. Vikky Sneakers Black, Puma, R899 BUY
There are few better transitional clothing items than trench coats. Light and oh so versatile, they can be worn over a T-shirt, dress or (when it’s cooler) a long sleeved top.
Once again burgundy is emphasized in this selection. It’s such a wonderful colour that will suit most. If this darker shade is not your style, look out for bright red items and wear the colour from head-to-toe!
1. Soft Frill Trench Coat Burgundy, Style Republic, R499 BUY
2. 9KT Yellow and White Ruby and Diamond Pendant R6299 (was R12299) BUY
3. Russia, Schutz, R2550 BUY
4. Henna Dot Dress Burgundy, Vero Moda, R499 BUY
The athleisure trend is still going strong and we’re thrilled! What’s better than pulling on a cosy top or trackpants when you’re curling up on the couch on a slightly chilly evening.
1. Ruffled Sleeves Sweatshirt Green, Mango, R599 BUY
2. Mithra Earrings, Pichulik, R 1100 BUY
3. Flared Sleeve Blouse Yellow, Mango, R599 BUY
4. Skinny Jeans Black, Levi’s®, R699 BUY
5. Dusty Wool-like Coat Black, Leigh Schubert, R801 (was R1195) BUY
6. Racing Stripe Trousers Black, Style Republic, R329 BUY
Enjoy this fabulous time of the year!
THIS IS NOT A SPONSORED POST