We’re all dreaming of our December summer holidays that are now, thankfully only a few weeks away. It’s time to start planning our holiday wardrobe and part of that includes a skincare routine and some vacay makeup.
If you’re going to the coast like most of South Africa, it’s unlikely that you’ll want to wear heavy makeup. But wearing at least a bit of colour and “glow” keeps you looking fresh and relaxed. Here’s a quick video on the vacay makeup that I’ll be wearing during the day for most of my holiday. It’s very quick and easy.
FOCUS ON BUSHY BROWS & ROSY CHEEKS
The emphasis of this vacay makeup look is on brows and cheeks. As I’ve grown older I’ve noticed that a slightly bushy brow and rosiness on the apple of my cheeks helps me look more youthful. Contouring has its place but it can harden the face. In this look, I’ve also used highlighter which, if used right can add a lovely glow. But watch out, it can also age you if applied in the wrong areas where it settles in wrinkles.
VACAY MAKEUP IN 10 MINS
In my vacay makeup video, I follow these steps:
1. Start with Foundation, I use Lula Fox Moisturing Foundation (vegan). It goes on super smooth and lets the skin breathe.
2. Apply the pinky colour corrector of Wet ‘n Wild Coverall concealer palette under eyes. I discovered this great, inexpensive product at Clicks! The pink colour is a great corrector for the blue circles under my eyes. The green neutralises red, apply this BEFORE foundation to red areas like the chin if necessary.
With the Wet ‘n Wild Coverall pallette
- Pink/Brightens cancels blue. Great for under undereye rings and shadows next to the nose.
- Green/Neutralizes cancels red. Cover up irritation or redness with this one.
- Beige/Covers is a regular concealer (which may or may not work with your skin tone)
- White/Highlights as the name suggests is a highlighter. Use sparingly on top of cheekbones and browbones. Careful – too much on the brow bone will make your eye look smaller.
3. Apply concealer or foundation over the corrector, I used Zelens Active Concealer. If the Wet ‘n Wild concealer (labelled “Covers” on the lid) is the right colour for you, apply this lightly over the pink corrector or you can use foundation. Set the concealer with an eyeshadow one shade lighter than your skin tone to keep it from creasing.
4. Brush your brows upwards and define them with The BrowGal Brow Pencil. To get the right length for your brows, determine the point from the outer corner of your nose to the outer corner of your eye and then to your brow bone. Extend your brow to that point.
5. Apply eyeshadow. I used Lula Fox Bone and Sun Goddess colours. Bright colours like coral and pink are all the rage this season and they look wonderfully holiday-happy.
6. Apply colour to the apples of the cheeks with Lula Fox Lip and Cheek Tint in Blush. Smile, and where your cheeks are round, apply colour. Blend towards the ear. This product is also applied to the lips.
7. Highlight for that holiday glow. I used Lula Fox Luminescence on top of my cheekbones and a little of the pearly “Highlights” colour of the Wet ‘n Wild palette on my brow bone, the tip of my nose and my Cupid’s bow.
8. Apply mascara. I love this natural mascara Hey Gorgeous Pure Wild Volumising. It gives big black lashes.
9. Keep your brows looking bushy by spritzing hairspray onto a brush and combing them upwards.
VACAY MAKEUP IN ONLY 5 MINS
On days when you’re in a rush:
1 – 4. Apply foundation, corrector and concealer, and define your brows as in steps one to four above.
5 – 6. Apply the Lip and Cheek Tint to the apples of your cheeks and lips. Skip the eyeshadow and use the lip and cheek tint on your eyes too.
7. Use the Wet ‘n Wild highlighter on the cheekbones, nose and Cupid’s bow, skip the Lula Fox Luminescence.
8. Apply mascara.
Hope you give it a try and let me know if it works for you!
Before you go – here’s some vacay wardrobe inspo:
(RELATED POST: OUR FAVOURITE SPRING 2019 MAKEUP TRENDS)